Friday 29 January 2016

UlsterFRYday

  Well it's been awhile since I posted on The Wild and Lovely Road. And what a journey Northern Ireland and I are now having. With the launch of  the Belfast City bike-share scheme at the end of May 2015. And the humongous success of the Tall Ships big start around the World Race 2015, right here in Belfast in July. It's now almost a year on from taking Walking Tours of Belfast and N. Ireland a little more seriously. #TheMartiWay

 And with the people of N. Ireland described as the happiest in the U.K.  In that poll the people of Co. Fermanagh came tops. And the Belfast City now said to be the trendiest city in Europe ( I would have said the Sweetest or Hippest, but I don't write these surveys). I think it is very fitting that We the people of N. Ireland now get to meet and greet the every increasing amount of visitors to our shores in this The Year of Food and Drink for N. Ireland.
  An area of this wee Island once famous for all the wrong reasons, it's none the less good to see we are becoming known for all the right ones. And hey it's all good. Yesterday we had a sneak preview of the Waterfront Hall as it nears it's completed extension and opening in May 2016. And I hear it has bookings up until 2018 already.
   In Belfast City center alone I see three brand new hotels being built, and hear we have the largest number of hotels being built anywhere in Europe for a city of it's size. The flagship for me the Grand Central Hotel being built by Hastings Hotels. A former governmental tower block and the tallest building in Belfast city center. The tallest Building in Ireland being the Obel Tower on the banks of the river Lagan where it meets Belfast lough. In a city where tall building are not the norm. But it's Architecture is becoming famous. I'll have to add some of it to my Instagram.
  And as for today well  #UlsterFRYday and it's all over Social Media Platforms. Our now famous Ulster fry breakfast was first up on the Calendar of Events. January month of breakfast and all that is good about Food in Northern Ireland. While top food writers, Michelin Star Restaurant owners from all over. Dinned in the Europa Hotel here in Belfast. I tucked into my Ulster Fry in my favorite space the Windmill Restaurant, Church lane, just a stones throw from the birth place of Béal Feirste
Belfast.
 After which I walked around to my favorite St. George's Market to share some of my love for it on a Friday. Voted Bested indoor market in 2014 mainly for it's Saturday and Sunday Markets. Friday I still Love. Well it does have the Largest Fish Market in Ireland. and the fruit, veg, and all other stalls are good too. No weekend break to the city would be complete without a visit.
  By now all the big events had past on this #UlsterFryday but there was still one place I wanted to visit. a little place by the Europa Hotel I had heard about. Yahi a new little restaurant in the Great Northern Mall which is the entrance to the main Bus/Train station here in Belfast.
  Yahi I now know to be a indigenous tribe in Southern California is where the Café I am now in gets it's name from. Only in this case they hunt to best local ingredients to serve to their customers. With juice from Mango and Breads form Co. Antrim. I of course fell instantly in Love with the place. And hope to share some of that with them in February the month of Love as the year of food continues right here in N. Ireland. As I continue along the Wild and Lovely Road. and by the next time I get a chance to share some more revelations about Northern Ireland, I'll have transitioned into Belfastology Walking Tours. As I try to find help from other to bring meaning to the word #Belfastology


 



No comments:

Post a Comment